Sunday, July 13, 2008


Vancougar



After I reclaimed my lost bag from the airport, I had the afternoon left to fill, and the sun doesn't set here until after 9pm! It was too late to do any driving excursions like I had planned, so I decided to get a little tourism in. I rushed through the aquarium (because it closed an hour after I got in) and saw the baby beluga whale swimming with its mom (it was born just last month!). I think they used to have a killer whale too, but I think public protest forced them to release it. The aquarium isn't huge, but the few exhibits they do have they do pretty well, like the frog exhibit and the BC coast exhibit.

Then, only because I had a free admission ticket, I checked out the Capilano suspension bridge. There's really nothing there except the bridge itself, but there's a whole bunch of other crap to try to add value. They even had singing minstrels in olde tyme garb. Not worth the price of admission.

By then it was around 8:30, so I headed to the west side to see the Vancougar show. The venue was pretty cool, and the opening bands were interesting. The first played instrumental surf/rockabilly jams. The second played loud annoying punk. The third sounded a lot like the Hives to me, but I guess they are a Vancouver staple and fan favorite for many years. Then Vancougar came on and played a really fun show. Everybody seemed to be enjoying themselves, and a couple people even tried to crowd surf! I got to chat a bit with the band afterwards, they they are nice people. Maybe they'll come to DC one of these days.

No comments: