Sunday, July 13, 2008


Great White North

I slept in really late on Saturday, since I was out until 2am, so I got a late start up to the mountains. My goal was to hike up to Garibaldi Lake, which I did, but I really pushed it. The trail up to it was 9km and rises almost 1km, meaning it was pretty fucking steep the entire way, and I was trying to keep my Brad pace. There was a bit of snow on the ground, but the temperature was 30 degrees (Celsius)! It was also the first time I've been to an actual glacial lake. The water was clear and blue like everybody says, thanks to finely ground silt, or glacial flour. When I filled up my water bottle for the hike back down, I couldn't see anything floating around in it, unlike every other lake water I've sampled. I started up just after 3pm and made it back to the car just after 8pm, including a nice long snack and rest.


On the other side of the gorge is something called The Barrier. It is a giant lava flow that cooled up against the giant glacier that used to be here. Now the glacier is gone and there's this huge unstable cliff of volcanic rock. There were continual small landslides as I was hiking.

No comments: