Wednesday, April 02, 2008


Synch Away!

I'm back out at NSLS for the rest of the week. I'll probably be posting some crazy ramblings from lack of sleep by Friday, so if I do, you can safely ignore them.

Last night I had a nice dinner with Tim and Deanne last night out in Port Jefferson. We wanted to go to a Spanish tapas restaurant, but it was closed, so we went to a nearby Italian place instead. They're both new hires in the geology department at SUNY Stonybrook. I never really hung out with them at ASU, since they were planetary people and had their own building on the other side of campus, except for randomly seeing them at concerts. But it was good to catch up with what they're doing. I'm always interested in how people I know are getting jobs since I have to start worrying about that now. The big decision for me right now if figuring out if I want to go full-fledged into academia or stick with a pure research position. For the former, you get to keep a high profile in the academic community, but you have to deal with all the academic bullshit like committees and writing grants, and you have to split your time between teaching and research. For the latter, you really go under the radar, the jobs can be somewhat repetetive, but you get to focus on doing science (unless you're stuck with a sample prep job). Also, you generally make more money in a research position vs. academia. I haven't really decided what I want to do yet.

No comments: