Thursday, January 24, 2008


Saskatoon, Here I Come!

So I'm here in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and it's really cold. Not as cold as Regina, but still really freakin' cold. After finishing safety training and getting badged at the Canadian Light Source, it was only 3pm, so I decided to walk into downtown and get some late lunch/early dinner with Dominic (he flew up with me to help me share the beamtime). We found a nice Japanese restaurant, but even though they had their lunch specials out, lunch was over so we had to order a full dinner. The miso was so-so, but my katsu don was pretty good. Then Dominic headed to his hotel and I headed back across the river to the seminary dorm where I'm staying. Since I had to walk through the University of Saskatchewan campus to get there, I decided to explore a bit. I found the student union by accident and walked around inside, and discovered that there are secret tunnels and bridges everywhere on campus. Students can go from their dorms to the student union, to the dining halls, to the library, and to class without even going outside in the cold! Then I went to the geology department and walked around looking at their mineral displays. They had some pretty outstanding fluorite and calcite. They also had giant replica dinosaur skeletons in the foyer, too. By then it was getting late, so I came back here to the seminary. I'm going to go peruse the student paper and then go to sleep.

No comments: