Friday, January 04, 2008


Best of 2007 - Prologue

Now that it's January and 2007 is over, it's time to start compiling my Best of 2007 music CD. Unfortunately, this year will probably only fill a single CD because there weren't very many good releases. There are some gems, which will make it onto the CD, but there were also too many disappointments. Just look at any music critics Best of list for 2007, and you'll most likely find Rilo Kiley's Under the Blacklight. This is NOT a good CD, and has disappointed a large portion of Rilo Kiley's fanbase (including me). But it's better than most music dreck, and because there wasn't a whole lot better, it has made many best of 2007 lists.

Anyway, my real point here is to make a few honorable mentions that won't be on my Best of CD for various reasons. The National came out with a great album last year, but none of the songs really got to me. So although it won't be on my tracklist, it's worth checking out. Also, The Smashing Pumpkins got the band back together and released a CD. I didn't really like any of the songs I heard on the radio, so I didn't buy it, but that doesn't mean there aren't some good songs hidden on the CD. I just haven't had a chance to hear them yet. They're a talented band, so I can't just dismiss them without giving the CD a listen.

No comments: