Tuesday, October 02, 2007


The System Works!

So I've been wanting to read The Name of the Rose for a long time. I've heard it's a really good book, and I kinda want to ease into Umberto Eco's themes and style before I tackle Foucault's Pendulum. But I've never started the book because it's chock full of Latin, and I don't know a lick of it. I learned my lesson after reading Lolita that if you can't understand a large portion of the book, you're gonna miss out on some plot development. There's a book called the Key to the Name of the Rose which has a glossary and translations of all Latin phrases, but neither ASU nor various public libraries had it. Well it turns out the Fairfax County Library system has a copy, but it's in a branch far away (well, too far away to be worth the effort). Plus it was checked out. But, not only was I able to put a hold on the book online, but they shipped it to the library branch just down the street from me. So I think I'll start reading it tonight or tomorrow.

No comments: