Sunday, August 20, 2006



Kelly and I got back from camping today. We left Monday, the day after I got back from the wedding. We took Ed with us and it was a blast. First we went back to the Sierra Anchas and camped by the Jug. That kinda sucked because it kept raining, but there was barely any water in the Jug! So we got out of there the next day and camped over by Wet Beaver Creek. We found a spot by a creek just off the forest road (see pic). Wet Beaver Creek has one of the ultimate swimming holes, but you have to hike in three miles to get to it. Unfortunately, my Tevas fell apart at the jug, so I was wearing $10 Walmart velcro walking shoes with no socks. My ankles are still cussing me out for that. But the swimming hole was great, with nice rock ledges for cliff jumping. On the way out we saw a huge rattlesnake right where we had laid out our clothes just a half hour before. Not surprisingly, Kelly freaked.

We spent Thursday in Payson and stayed at the Best Western there. That particular hotel has certain unmentionable romantic affiliations for us. Plus they allow dogs. Then we headed up to the Rim above Pine/Strawberry to find a camping spot for us and Kelly's family. They showed up Friday afternoon. The plan on Saturday was for them to hike from the Rim to Pine, while Kelly and I hike the opposite way, swapping keys when we meet. But Ed was very sore and tired from earlier adventures, and my ankles hurt, that Kelly, Ed, and I only went up the trail partway. But it was still a good time. We found a spring and Ed got to chase water skeeters on the muddy water. Posted by Picasa

No comments: