Tuesday, April 04, 2006


Working on chapter 2 now, which is the methods chapter. I'm also doing my last bit of sample prep this week, which helps refresh my memory for writing.

So I wanted to test all this mp3 store shit, and I bought a song off the Yahoo music store. If you must know, the song is "The Commander Thinks Aloud" by the Long Winters, which is a totally awesome song. Of course it is a protected WMA file, but that should play on even my crappy mp3 player. Unfortunately it doesn't. So I bought a song and all I can do with it is play it on my laptop or burn it to a CD. It's not even transferrable to another one of my computers, even though I have the Yahoo software there too. What a gyp! But there is a silver lining. I can burn it to a CD, and then rip it from the CD to make an unprotected MP3. But that reduces the sound quality. I'm gonna play with that a little more to see if I can increase the quality a bit, but it's pretty ridiculous to jump through all these hoops just to listen to a song that I own on my mp3 player.

Edit: ripping the CD to a WMA file works much better, because the file was originally a WMA.

1 comment:

jamielc said...

Hey, Brad-

You're geo- have you done your stint in paleontology? And do you have any insight about late pleistocene extinctions?
Lemme know. :)