Wednesday, August 17, 2005


I drove out to Montauk Point yesterday after I started my morning "stack". I guess there's a famous lighthouse out there or something. I was more interested in all the glacial till. There are huge pieces of super-porphyritic granite (with feldspars the size of your thumb), awesome gniesses, and all sorts of igneous boulders. The sand there is, of course, made up of tiny minerals from these rocks, and I probably looked like a total idiot just standing there staring at a palm-ful of sand. There were these patches of purple sand too, which was composed of mostly mafics (I wish I had a magnet with me!) and a curious pink translucent mineral. It could just be rose quartz, but it was more the color of pink tourmaline. I tried to find the source rock for this pink sand, but I couldn't find it. I did find one egg-sized piece of a white (quartz? felspar?) rock with tiny pink minerals in it. It broke pretty easily, but the pink minerals were scarce, so you'd have to weather a whole lot of it to get a big patch of purple sand. And where would the mafic minerals come from? Oh well, next time I'm out there I'll try to remember to bring a vial with me. I did manage to collect a few cool pebbles, though.

It took two hours to drive out there and two hours back because of all the traffic in the Hamptons. I can't believe this major highway all of a sudden goes through the middle of these boutique-filled "villiages". Southhampton, Easthampton, Bridgehampton, and I'm sure there's a few more of them, too. At least Amangasset has a unique name. Then, when I got back, everything had gone to shit. I had to restart the stack halfway through...twice! Ultimately, I was up till after 1AM setting up the overnight stack.

No comments: