Wednesday, February 16, 2005


Kelly and I had a great Valentine's Day on Monday. We went to Veggie Kabob. For some strange reason, we had forgotten how awesome the food is there. Yummy!

This morning I finished a new Java program. FileCombine solves a time-consuming problem I have when analyzing EELS data. In order to mess around with the data in Excel, I have to import every spectrum individually as a two-column text file and then copy and paste into the final worksheet. That can take a while if I have a dozen spectra or so. So I wrote FileCombine to take those individual text files and combine them into a multi-column, tab-delineated text file. Then I only have to import one file into Excel. It works with any text file, too, not just two column text. To run the program, open the command prompt and go to the directory where FileCombine.class is. Type java FileCombine, and assuming you have Java installed on your computer, you should the file chooser popup. Select the directory of your text files, and the program will ask which text files to include. Then you get another popup to choose the destination file. That's it. I like to create shortcuts with the Java command on the desktop or Start menu so I can just double click to start the program.

No comments: