Thursday, June 09, 2011


The Most Unusual Piece of Mail I Have Ever Recieved

The other day at work this showed up in my mailbox:


I've blurred the addressee, a Mr. Samuel S., but you can probably tell that it was mailed from Ghana. Although the envelope is clearly not addressed to me, there was a new address label affixed to the front with my work address on it. The JSC mail security had already opened the envelope to screen the contents.


Inside the envelope we have a nice birthday card lacking any personalized note or signature from the sender (although the name of the recipient is printed inside), a couple CDs of recent Ghanian hiplife music, and a couple of photocopies of documents implying that Mr. Samuel has recently paid off his student loan for his education at the University of Cape Coast. There is also a (Ghanian?) phone number written on one of the CDs.

This whole package is confusing the hell out of me. I can't come up with a rational explanation for how my address got attached to this letter. It was clearly affixed to the front covering the original address, so it couldn't have gotten there by accident. And why is there no note in the birthday card? Why would somebody send a card without signing it? Is this some sort of "test" for an international spy organization or the Illuminati? Is the phone number a direct line to headquarters or a safe house or an answering machine for the future? If I figure out the secret pattern in the song titles or filenames (using the word GHANA to decrypt them first, of course), will that lead me to an international assassins guild or an NSA recruitment facility? Or is this all just a big, impossible coincidence?


By the way, here are some examples of the music on the CDs: 1 2 3 4

No comments: