Wednesday, June 08, 2011


The Daily Commute (with Graphs!)

Since moving to Houston, people keep asking me how long my commute was. In January, I started recording how long it took for me to drive to and from work, and this is the result:
This represents about 5 months worth of data collection. The short answer is that, in the morning, my commute is usually 35-40 minutes, but my commute home averages about 45 minutes, although it often creeps up to around an hour, depending on traffic. The fastest I can possibly get to and from work seems to be 34 minutes. But there are some interesting aspects of the data. First of all, let's look at the morning drive time in detail:
It appears that heading off to work as close as possible to the hour is optimal, and my drive time tends to increase as the hour goes on. Next, take a look at my drive home:

There are two possible routes I can take to drive home. Taking US 59 is actually shorter by distance, but it almost always adds about 5 minutes to my commute compared with taking Allen Parkway. This is most likely due to longer travel on surface streets from US 59, which move slower than Allen Parkway during rush hour. No averages here because I don't really have enough data to draw meaningful conclusions, but the apparent trends appear to peak right around 5:00 PM (although there may be a "sweet spot" if I leave work exactly at 5:00).

No comments: