Thursday, June 19, 2008


I Synchrotron, Therefore I Am

I don't know why, but I think it's funny to use "synchrotron" as a verb.

Anyway, I'm up at the NSLS again, in the middle of bumblefuck Long Island, and I've had an eventful first day of beamtime. Everything was going great until someone on some other old beamline fucked up their vacuum system, which brought the hole synchrotron to a crashing halt. Then, we had a major thunderstorm in the afternoon and evening, which really shut everything down. Basically the synchrotron was down until 4am, but even then the particular beamline I was using was completely fucked up (valves and detectors shut themselves down ), so I had to wait until the morning for the beamline tech to come in and reset everything anyway. I only stayed up until midnight, and when I saw that things were still FUBAR, I decided to just go to sleep. This morning so far things are working well, and I think we can get through a bunch of samples quickly. And there are no more thunderstorms on the weather report, so at least that's one less disaster to worry about!

No comments: