Tuesday, September 11, 2007


I'm a big fan of open source software, so I always try to use Firefox and Thunderbird whenever possible. However, when I got my new work laptop, I decided to try using Microsoft solutions (Internet Explorer 7 and Outlook 2007) instead, because they are supposed to be much improved by competition with Firefox and Thunderbird. But after about a month of struggling with Outlook to get it to do what I want it to do, and IE7's ugly and non-intuitive interface, I've decided to switch back. And I'm glad I did. Now I can edit my Google calendar from within my email program, and I got rid of the annoying security pop up every time I access my NRL email. Outlook has this fancy-ass contacts system, and I could never access or organize it very easily. Thunderbird has a much simpler contacts system. And my biggest Outlook complaint of all...I couldn't even search my email! I think Outlook was trying to index all the email on the NRL mail servers! The only bad thing about Thunderbird is that it doesn't read all my RSS feeds properly, but at least I can organize them the way I want, unlike Outlook. As for Firefox, it has such a simpler user interface than IE7, and looks better too. I don't know why everybody just doesn't switch.

1 comment:

James said...

Firefox rocks. :) Outlook is only good if you have an exchange account.

If you have multiple computers you use Firefox on you should get the plugin called Foxmarks, it's syncs all your bookmarks between computers. Sweet.