Thursday, January 25, 2007


Still teaching, and still exhausted. Nothing much new to report. I'm just chugging along. I thought finishing up my dissertation and defending was hectic, but nowadays I have almost no free time at all. That and the lack of good sleep has made my patience wear thin.

I'm starting to doubt my teaching now. I've started to get those "will this be on the test" questions, which usually means the students are feeling overwhelmed. I'm probably going to try to change things up a bit. Part of it is also my expectations of the students may be too high. As far as I know, they are all non-geology-majors. But I don't want to just dumb things down for them. I think I need to go slower and spend more time explaining the core ideas instead of trying to cover everything in the book.

1 comment:

NPH said...

"Will this be on the test?"

Translation: "Do I need to pay attention or can I go back to sleep?"

I doubt they're overwhelmed already.