Wednesday, November 22, 2006


I finished A Million Little Pieces last week, but I've been so busy working on revisions that I haven't blogged about it. It's a pretty good story, and I think it's important for this day and age, because the main character pretty much takes responsibility for his addictions. It is his choice to use drugs or alcohol or whatever, instead of a disease or uncontrollable urge. He chooses not to continue in his addictions instead of relying on what he sees as other harmless addictions like food or religion or AA. I think that's a great message.

My only beef with the book, and Kelly and I argue about this, is the writing style. It is pretty simplistic and repetitive, kind of like Hemingway. I hate that style, but I have to admit that it fits the content of the book really well. So I see it as a necessary evil.

Anyway, I would recommend the book to others. To bad it has that Oprah stigma around it now.

Now I re-reading an old book from my youth. It's sort of a retelling of part of the Arthurian legend that I remember liking. Now I'm not so sure. Actually, I'm just tired of seeing it on my shelf, so I'm reading it one last time before I sell it. It should be a pretty quick read.

No comments: