Friday, April 11, 2003


Here's an update about the film festival. We got to Tucson a little early, so we had dinner at this bistro called Barrio. It was pretty trendy, and I felt underdressed around all those stylish latino girls who worked there. I would have much rather gone to a place like that with Kelly, and I bet she would have liked it. The food was good though it was a little overpriced.

My brother's film was awesome! It was really cool on the big screen. People applauded when it was over, and a few people actually came up to my brother to say how much they liked it. But then everything went downhill, because the film after his was utterly awful. People always joke about how they just saw the worst movie ever made, but I'm being completely serious. That was, without a doubt, the worst film ever made. The acting was terrible. The plot was absolutely vapid. The characters were one-dimensional, completely unrealistic, and didn't even feel like they belonged in the same movie. The weirdest thing were the expensive special effects (involving a stopwatch moving backwards, a magical oven, and a "meteorite" flying across the sky <>). There was a subplot involving the ghost of a cuban baseball player from the 1930's, which turned out to be the main character's grandfather. By the way, the ghost gave the main character some good advice about being true to yourself, which she promptly ignored, basically telling the audience there was no reason for the ghost to even be in the story. Seriously, I wanted to pull a Britney Spears. I wanted to commit suicide. That was 90 minutes of my life I will never get back.

Then it got worse. My brother's friends showed up. I knew one of them from high school. Think of a female version of Adam Jew, but twice as ugly, and wearing cat ears. Then multiply that by three. I know it sounds mean, but my brother actually wanted to hang out with three fat, ugly girls, with nasty hear, and nasty clothes (one was even wearing a beat up Twister shirt!), all wearing those GODDAMN CAT EARS!!! They are all sisters, and their mom showed up two. I haven't seen anyone with feathered hair in a really long time. When the mom found out I was a geologist, she preceded to ask me if I knew anything about the recent space shuttle disaster. I am a goddamn geologists...what the fuck do I know about the space shuttle!!! Then, of course, things had to get worse. My brother and mom wanted to go get desert, but it was after 10PM, so the only thing open was Denny's. GODDAMN DENNYS!!! I am sure as hell not eating anything at Denny's. I ordered a Dr. Pepper, but they served me a nasty Mr. Pibb. So I just sat there sipping my nasty drink, trying not to watch with disgusted fascination the three fat, ugly girls wearing GODDAMN CAT EARS shoveling large amounts of chocolate fudge brownies and chocolate peanut butter pie in those garbage disposals in their faces they call mouths. I would have gladly watched that shitty movie again.

So we got back after 1AM, and surprise surprise, the puppy had pissed and shit all over, so I just said fuck it and went to sleep.

No comments: