Thursday, April 30, 2009


Data Figures

A friend was talking last night about a coworker blogging at work, and it reminded me that I haven't posted in a while. I'm been mostly spending my time writing papers, so here's a figure I just made yesterday.The squiggly lines underneath the image are EDS spectra showing the rough composition of the bright material. Contributions from the background support film and the surrounding fluffy silica aerogel (containing silicon, oxygen, and carbon) have been subtracted, which is why there are inverted peaks in some spectra. I'm not necessarily convinced that this is the best way to process the data, since I think it tends to show that the bright areas are depleted in carbon. Actually there is a lot of carbon in the bright areas, but only surrounding the mineral grains, while carbon is homogeneous in the aerogel.

2 comments:

Beth said...

So, does it mean it is an alien or not?

Brad De Gregorio said...

No, Beth. No aliens here.