Friday, October 24, 2008


Breaking the Deal

Earlier this month, the Onion A.V. Club ran a blog post about pop-culture deal-breakers...that is, what music/movies/books/etc. would cause you to immediately break up with your significant other. I love reading through the comments of these kind of posts because it gives me a feel for what the masses like and think. Well, maybe just the internet-saavy hipster douchebags. Anyway, it seems like the majority say that not liking Prince is a deal-breaker. I don't really like Prince, but I can still appreciate him and I'll listen if somebody else wishes to. I thought his recent Super Bowl performance was pretty good. A lot of people also mentioned The Simpsons because that show represents a certain sense of humor that people identify with. I can't think of a single person in my generation that can't at least appreciate the Simpsons on some level.

Anyway, I'm not really a deal-breaker kind of guy, but I've been thinking about this off and on, and I've come up with two.

1. Reading horoscopes. Period.
2. Dave Matthews Band

I know people who like both of these, but I would have a very difficult time dating somebody who likes them. Even reading horoscopes "for fun" gives some credence to that bullshit, and if you truly don't believe in them, they are boring as hell and a waste of time. As for DMB, aside from the utterly crappy music, lyrics, and singing, their fans are mostly annoying as well. I think my idea of hell is the first 10 seconds of Ants Marching on repeat. Apologies to my old office-mate Joe, who, aside from liking DMB, is a really cool guy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Brad

I was looking for Crystal Tools and I stumbled on this. I couldn't agree with you more. I once got talked into attending a DMB concert before i knew anything about them. What a snoozer. Joe is a cool guy in spite of his like of the DMB.