Wednesday, December 19, 2007


What do we know about Renazzo matrix?


It's been several weeks, but I finally finished a powerpoint summary of all the publishable data I've collected on my Renazzo meteorite sample. You see, it broke off not too long ago, and we need to figure out if we have to ask for more sample from the American Museum. So Rhonda asked me to put together a powerpoint showing all the data I have to see if we can get a paper out of it, or if we really do need more sample. It's kinda like how a dissertation is a summary of all your knowledge from 4+ years of grad school; this was more like 5 months of various TEM and STXM observations, including images, electron diffraction, x-ray emission, x-ray absorption (but no electron absorption, unfortunately). Needless to say, it's a lot of material.

There's actually a lot of interesting stuff in my Renazzo section. Interesting carbonates, sheet silicates, organic matter, and even (possibly) a mineral that has yet to be found in a meteorite (It's only been discovered on Earth so far). It does really suck that we lost the sample.

No comments: