Wednesday, May 16, 2007


A lot has happened in the past few days! I flew to Chicago to give a geology colloquium talk at Northwestern. Then Kelly, her family, the dogs, and I hiked to the Jug for Mother's Day. Then just yesterday I got a brand new cell phone.

The weather was quite nice in Evanston. I guess it was during those two or three weeks of Spring every year. But it was sunny in the mid-60s, with only a little bit of wind. My talk went well. I just gave basically the same talk that I did for my Carnegie interview, but without the proposal stuff and a bit more general explanation. I also brought samples of my cherts to pass around, which I think the audience liked. I didn't have a lot of free time, though. I arrived Thursday night, hung out in the geology department and met people on Friday, then left Saturday morning. But I did have some time to meet up with Eric Singley for some whiskey at a local Evanston bar. Eric's a pretty cool guy. I never really hung out with him that much as an undergrad, but I should have.

Then on Sunday we all hiked to the Jug. There was water flowing this time of year, but it was a bit lower than when Kelly and I went last Spring. Ed wussed out a bit after we got to the water, so Jace and Kelly's dad stayed behind while Kelly, Kelly's mom, and I went to the swimming pools. Gunner went with us and had to swim for the first time ever in his life. He looked pretty clumsy and made tons of splashing, but I think he had a good time. But both he and Ed did not like the hike out. By then it was hot and the trail was burning Gunner's feet. Ed also got overheated and he was wheezing like a steam engine. Jace and Kelly's mom had to carry Ed for a little while, and I carried Gunner for a little bit. They were both out of it for the next few days. They both seem back to normal today, though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Only certain people can't enjoy Chicago's seasons. I'm glad things at Chicago/NU were nice, though rushed :-)